Watching Boogie Grow

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Quickly Growing into Mommie's Shoes

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

The baby princess..

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 1, 2009

Alligators, Timber Rattlers and a 2 1/2 year old.....

Did I peak your interest? No, I am not talking about out Memorial Day weekend although that was not without incident. I TOLD you, well I will tell you, but I digress.

So this weekend Jon was an absolute angel and packed up all of his stuff and Boogie's stuff and headed down to Papa Edge's farm. I had a huge accounting problem due, which only took me a total of 3 hours to complete. Whew! On top of that there were 4 quizzes on test and a short paper that were due, so an empty house was just what I needed, and Jon realizing that got the heck out of Dodge and took Boogie with him. It was perfect, but again I digress I am sure all you want to hear about is the above mentioned reference.

So Jon, Boogie and Papa Edge, headed out early Saturday morning to look at a piece of property that Papa is leasing to do quail and pheasant hunting for guests throughout the year. The only way to get back there is by 4 wheeler, now people don't freak out, I am not one to condone toddlers on 4 wheelers, but please realize that Jon probably went all of about 5 miles an hour with her on it, and her power wheel goes faster then that. Trust me he called while they were heading out and I put the fear of GOD into him. :D Anyway on the way out to the river they came across the about mentioned Timber Rattler; remember middle GA is either swamp pasture or pine fields, that's it people pick from one of the above three. Jon said it was a very large snake laying right across the road and was not at all happy to see them, so he shot it. Again Jon and I both are very pro snake they are great for the environment, even the rattlers, but on a 4 wheeler with a toddler I don't think I would chance it. Well Charlotte was very excited that daddy shot the bad snake in the face (not the head mind you) and then chopped it's tail off. She was almost as excited about this as she was about the Alligators that they saw at the river. She wanted to pet one and bring it home. Uh no. So once this discussion is finished, Jon's says that they got the 4 wheelers stuck on the way back, I asked where he put Boogie while they got them unstuck and he said that he put her by a tree and told her to stay put. Uh huh...you put a 2 1/2 year old by a tree in the woods with Alligators and Timber Rattlers and told her to stay put. For the love of God!! Apparently the only trouble that she found were the blackberries growing under the pines, so all was good. She did however have another run in with some Alligators at the farm pond.
The pond is a good size but a bit small for 3 full grown alligators, and with cattle, geese, chickens, goats, dogs, and ducks all wondering down to the edge (not to mention Boogie) you don't really want toooo many gators in there. So Jon and Papa Edge trapped 2 of the three (mind you their still small now, between 2 and 3 feet) and moved them too a creek a few miles down the road. Well this was fine with Boogie until they let them go; I might add that I was sent a video of one of the little gators almost getting a chunk of my husbands bicep (do you see what I have to live with, wait till you hear about memorial day). Well when they went to let him go, Boogie was very upset. Jon told her it was okay he was going to a new home, and she said I want him to come to my home. Uh yeah no. *Sigh*
I am happy to say that they did make it back without incident despite their numerous run ins with nature. Boogie had a fabulous time as usual playing with the chickens and the dogs, and the two puppies that are now very roly poly. She also got to see her cow Elsie which was great excitement and there has been the addition of some little goats, which Papa promised her he would get since she said she likes visiting them at the zoo. I am hoping that they are also being used for the milk, and not just for Boogie's enjoyment, which I am sure they are. She loves visiting down there and I am so glad that she is able to see how things work on a farm, it is a great experience. :D

1 comment:

Tamara Ann said...

Oh my! I can't imagine...JUST KIDDING - I GREW UP WITH THE MAN!! I'm glad they had a 'relatively tame' weekend :) And I heard about the hook on Memorial Day - only my brother! Jon called yesterday & I think we may go in on the lease with them - it would be so great for the girls to get to see each other more (at least during hunting season!)!!